Malik Nabers Injury: NFL Injury Report: Malik Nabers’ injury situation keeps getting worse as the Giants refuse to promise week 1 return | NFL News
Malik Nabers is only 22, already one of the most electrifying wide receivers in the NFL, and currently deep in the grind of recovering from the most complex knee injury a player can have. New York Giants head coach John Harbaugh addressed reporters this week during OTAs and did not sugarcoat things. There is no timetable for Nabers’ return, and the road back is anything but straightforward.
Giants HC John Harbaugh says Malik Nabers’ knee recovery has “no simple” path to return
Harbaugh described Nabers as being “in the slog of it, the grind of it” when asked about his rehab progress. The Giants coach said it was “impossible to predict” a return timeline, with the stated goal being for Nabers to start the season and get on the field at some point during training camp, but even that is far from guaranteed. His exact words were telling: “If he’s out there, great. If he’s not, great.” For a player of Nabers’ calibre, that is not the update anyone wanted.The injury itself explains the caution. Nabers tore the ACL in his right knee in September, and his surgery which included a full meniscus repair, came several weeks after the initial injury. A torn ACL alone is a 9–12 month recovery. A torn ACL and meniscus, with a delayed surgery, is a different animal entirely. Then came the twist that made things worse: Nabers underwent a second procedure on his right knee earlier this offseason, a cleanup surgery to remove scar tissue that had developed and was causing stiffness. The Giants downplayed it as minor, but a second surgery at the six-month mark of an ACL recovery is not a footnote.
Why Giants fans are right to worry about Malik Nabers beyond just Week 1
The numbers make this injury feel even more cruel. As a rookie in 2024, Nabers had 109 receptions on 170 targets, second most in the NFL, along with 1,204 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. He was doing it again in 2025 before the injury hit: he had piled up 251 yards and two touchdowns in his first three games, including a monster 167-yard performance against the Cowboys in Week 2. This is a player who was on track to be the best wide receiver in football, and now his Week 1 availability against those same Cowboys on Sunday Night Football, no less, is genuinely uncertain.Harbaugh did offer one reassurance: he said Nabers is fighting hard every day and is with the team during rehab, and that both the trainers and medical staff are doing their jobs, “he will be back.” But the when remains the uncomfortable question hanging over New York’s entire offensive outlook heading into 2026.